CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, May 23, 2013

From Drab to Fab on a budget

Historic building in downtown Durant that was doomed to be condemned
 has now got a new lease on life!  
 
Entryway
 
Kitchen

Old wooden sign from the original Main Street Cafe bought at a local garage sale for $20. 
 
Custom cabinets and black onyx granite. The color on the cabinets is Balsam. The island was a one of a kind find in Canton, Tx.
 
The stone wall was originally all brick which, unfortunately, couldn't be saved due to major deterioration. I loved the contrast of the rough textured walls against the softness of the light kitchen cabinets so we opted for an old world stone.

The masterbedroom.  
 
Our favorite old lady, Miss Madge in her favorite spot in the entire apartment.
 
I love soft romantic mood lighting for a bedroom and table lamps and can lights just can't acheive that. So, I had these beautiful one-light chandeliers installed as an option for more low key lighting. They give off a soft light with magnificent shadows along the walls and ceiling. Just what I was looking for!

A bathroom has to look clean and sleek for me to feel comfortable in it and white everywhere screams "clean and posh". The contrast with the dark chestnut doors just adds to the drama of the whole apartment. 
 
I am a reflective person and so it only seemed appropriate to display my collection of garage-sale mirrors in my bathroom where I'm getting ready for the day. Looking myself in the mirror for an hour or so during my morning routine of make-up, hair, etc, symbollically allows me to reflect upon who I am and what I need to be for others today.
 
 
A collage of old frames, again collected from garage sales, frame up some of our family photos and moto.

My sons' room is everything I hoped it would turn out to be and more. I look at my sons and wonder what wild adventures they will run into today, tomorrow and when they're grown and it's a bittersweet thought. I hope they run to see the world one day and are a hero to many. I hired a young artist, Jesse Ellsworth, to paint a map on his entire wall with the quote from Hellen Keller, "Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing." I hope that inspires them to live life to the fullest without compromising their morals and standards. 
 
A collection of vintage license plates from all over the country frame up the doorway to the boys' bathroom.
 
My 2 youngest daughter's room.

 

My art studio is my sanctuary. This is where I come to get away from the world and release my stress and creative desires into my work.
 
There is so much natural light in this apartment that most of the time the lights in the house stay off. I love the feel of the airy texture from the windows on the yogurt-colored walls of my art studio and adjoining living room.  
 
 
My little knick-knack corner where I keep my unique finds that have been orphaned over time from flea markets, garage sales and antique shops.
 
I repurposed an old pair of child ballet slippers into a fun inspirational piece using old lace, earring clips, cardstock and glitter. (Inspiration found on Pinterest).

Throughout the entire loft the ceiling are 12 feet high giving plenty of head room and making the space feel even more open and inviting.
 


 
 

I hope you enjoyed the tour through our pride and joy. This has definitely been a labor of love and we are so happy to say one of Downtown Durant's finest historic buildings has a fresh start with lots of years to create even more historic memories.
XOXO,
C



0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails